We need your help deciding our next excursion! Europe has been nice so far. We have really enjoyed the 2 months we have been in Portugal and Spain, but we are looking for something else.We are kind of sick of “visiting cities”. Resturants trying to sway you to dine with them, cathedrals, and vast amounts of tourists. We are kind of sick of staying in a city for longer than a week too. Doing one thing a day is nice sometimes, but after a while we start thinking to ourselves, this “long term travel” is pointless if we aren’t going to do too much. I wrote a lot more about this, which I will post soon, but you get the point. It feels more like we are on vacation instead of an adventure. Maybe we are searching too much.
So what to do next? We are in Barcelona for a break week and midway point to get some planning done before we ride The Camino. We are definitely pumped about being on bike for more than two weeks and riding more than 500 miles. After that we will meet up with Katie’s parents in Croatia and spend around a month there. After Croatia in October we were thinking of originally going to Turkey and finding a volunteer program to get involved with but we are mulling over the ideas of doing something different. We didn’t have much luck finding volunteer programs in turkey and have started questioning why we want to do volunteer “programs” in the first place.
These are the options we are considering so far.
1. Head to Africa for a month or longer camping trip with a tour company
2. Find an useful non profit to work with in Turkey. (If you know of one that doesn’t involve organic farming or teaching rich parents kids English please let us know)
3. Find a longer term non profit to work with for a longer duration (6ish months)
4. Find another outdoor biking/hiking/boating pilgrimage to embark upon
5. Head somewhere completely different away from the big cities like the Faroe Islands or Papua New Guinea and disregard the budget a bit
6. Whatever or wherever you suggest
Help us out and let us know!